My quilts may not be awe-inspiring. They may not be a quality work of craftmanship. In fact, some might not consider them quilts (and in that sense, they are technically accurate).
But you can bet, at the very least, that if I make you a quilt, it is an act of love.
This was one of my first (grown-up) attempts at quilt making. While I had made several things out of patchwork as a child, I had never actually made a quilt out of them–though I had the coolest patchwork book bag until it died and unreinforced death of book overload. To be completely honest, I thought it was the patches that made something a quilt, not the quilting… I admit that Sophie’s quilt is not a traditional quilt–I went with no set pattern (I’ve always been fond of the crazy quilt) and I zigzagged in the place that normally would have been quilting “in the ditch”. Also, since I used corduroy for the backing, I only “quilted” through the batting (an old blanket) and the front…instead I used a heavy duty fusible interfacing.
My second (completed) quilt was one I made for my son. I found this absolutely adorable knights of Camelot and dragon material at a craft store on sale, and couldn’t help myself!! Actually…I think I still have fabric left over, I bought so much. Like Sophie’s quilt, it is doesn’t follow any particular pattern and is basically a rectangular patched crazy quilt. For Collin’s quilt, I used a conventional batting, but an old sheet for the backside. Ah, and quilting purists probably wouldn’t consider it a quilt, since its a tie quilt.
My current two projects are a small reproduction Civil War era soldier’s cot quilt for the hubby at reenactments, entirely pieced and quilted by hand. Its taking me a while, to say the least.
My other quilt is fairly fast in terms of sewing, but since I am making it entirely out of scrap material, it is still a work in progress. For this, I was sort of inspired by the Pine Cone/Pine Burr quilt (which I really want to make, but need to save up the “right” sized scraps and master the technique for that one) in the idea of using the cloth of the pieces patched together to make filler for the quilt, rather than actual batting. I have basically sewn folded pieces over each other to form layered strips and pieced them together. I’m nowhere near done, and I haven’t exactly figured out how I want to do the backing.